Saturday, January 25, 2020

Books

Although I don't have as much time to devote as I'd like, I still love to read.  I'm talking physical books.  I don't have a Kindle and, while I wouldn't turn one down if it were given to me, there's something about holding a physical book...flipping pages...using a bookmark...the scent...it's oddly satisfying.

The first favorite book I can remember is "Hubert's Hair-Raising Adventure".  It's about a vain lion whose mane catches fire, and the lengths he goes through to get it back.  I first read it in first grade.  I went to a 3rd grade reading class and, whenever we had "free read time", I would run to the books and grab Hubert before anyone else would.  When, near the end of the school year, I ended up in the hospital, my teachers gave it to me.  I still have it.








While in the hospital, I also got a ton of "Big Little Books".  Those little bite-sized nuggets were wonderful.



In 3rd or 4th grade, each person in my class was assigned a different book by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Mine was "Little House On the Prairie". I was immediately hooked.  Eventually, my mother got me the entire collection...book by book.  It seemed to take forever, but I would read the new one as soon as I got it; I would read the books I had in chronological order, fitting the new one in its place.  Unfortunately, my mother didn't get them IN chronological order!  The last one I got was "By the Shores of Silver Lake"...which was #5 of the 9.  Once again, I still have them, although "Little House in the Big Woods" - the first one I got - has a masking-tape spine.  I still love Laura; a few years ago my husband gave me a wonderful book titled "I Remember Laura", with interviews of people who knew & loved her!


My mother knew that I liked to read, and would often get me books.  One book she gave me when I was about 10 or 11 was "Karen" by Marie Killilea.  It's a true story about Marie's daughter, Karen, and her battles with having Cerebral Palsy.  It's not an easy read: it took me 3 tries to get past the word "infinitesimal" on page 2!  However, once I got past that, I found a story rich in love, faith, and humor.  I have read it - and its sequel, "With Love, From Karen" - several times.  It wasn't until just a few years ago that I found out that I was actually named after this book!


I still love to read.  Some of my other favorites:
  • The Bible, which I have read - cover to cover - several times.
  • Most of the early works of Stephen King, including "Carrie" and "The Stand".
  • "Swan's Song" and "They Thirst" by Robert McCammon
  • Most of V.C. Andrews, including the Dollenganger saga and "My Sweet Audrina".
  • The Dragonriders of PERN series by Anne McCaffrey
  • The Belgariad and the Mallorean serieses (is that a word?) by David Eddings.
  • The Bad Girls of the Bible series by Liz Curtis Higgs
  • The Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
  • "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb
  • The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
  • "Maus" (I and II) by Art Spiegelman
  • "A Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank
I also have a soft spot for biographies and autobiographies, including:
  • Mick Fleetwood
  • Wynonna Judd
  • Naomi Judd
  • Roger Daltry
  • Jimmy Webb
  • Patty Duke
  • Chuck Norris
  • Eric Clapton
  • Patti Boyd
  • Mackenzie Phillips
  • Maria Von Trapp
  • Helen Keller
I also love re-reading books; to me, it's like revisiting old friends.  Granted, I usually like a little time to pass before a re-read...but that just gives me the opportunity to read another book!

No comments:

Post a Comment