Saturday, November 20, 2021

Hey, Hey...we're the Monkees!

 
Micky Dolenz.  Peter Tork.  Michael Nesmith.  Davy Jones.  Four young men brought together by circumstances to make a TV show, became a band, then became legends.
 
People underestimate them.  "Pre-Fab Four" they're called.  Their talent was constantly called into question.  I don't understand how.  Micky has one of the most incredible, distinctive voices and a comedic genius.  Nez is no slouch in the vocal department and is a wonderful songwriter (and eventually started the gears turning for the inevitability of the original MTV).  Peter could play so many different instruments and was smart enough to "play dumb".  Davy had old-school performing razzmatazz.  

I was very young - just a toddler - when they first hit the radio airwaves, then the TV screens.  I was hooked right away...as my baby book can prove.

I never lost my love for them.  I remember being in gym class in the mid '70s...long after the show ended but before any of their reunions.  My gym teacher would sometimes play albums during class.  Whenever she played the Monkees, my classmates didn't have a clue, but not only did I sing along, I knew which song was going to play next.  I was so glad when MTV started to play the show in the '80s; I even recorded my favorite episode.  My husband eventually got me the entire series on DVD, and I got several albums on CD (although I still have my original vinyl).  I was saddened when Davy died; devastated when Peter died (he was my favorite).  I never got to see them all in concert, but DID have the opportunity to take my daughter to see Micky live for her 15th birthday, as she had become a fan by watching my DVDs with me.


Sadly, Micky and Mike decided that it was time to retire the Monkees; their final tour came to an end recently.  It had been over 50 years, and they could still pull in an audience.

All that said, I've got a couple of Top 10s here: my favorite songs, and favorite episodes.

Top 10 Songs

10. The Girl I Knew Somewhere - Written by Michael Nesmith, sung by Micky Dolenz, off of the album Headquarters (Side note: Nez's version, which I have on the "Infinite Tuesday" CD, is also very good.)

9. Love is Only Sleeping - Written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, sung by Michael Nesmith, off of the album Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. (Side note: this is the song that caused my daughter to fall in love with the Monkees' music)

8. Zor and Zam - Written by Bill and John Chadwick, sung by Micky Dolenz, off of the album The Birds, the Bees & the Monkees (Side note: this is the last Monkees song to play on the series, and the last song to play on the group's original 5 albums)

7. For Pete's Sake - Written by Peter Tork, sung by Micky Dolenz, off of the album Headquarters (Side note: it became the closing theme in season 2)

6. Goin' Down - Written by Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, Davy Jones & Diane Hildebrand, sung by Micky Dolenz, b-side to the single "Daydream Believer" (Side note: who hasn't tried to sing along?)

5. Circle Sky - Written & sung by Michael Nesmith, from the Head movie soundtrack (Side note: I actually prefer the live version from the movie itself, which is unusual for me.)

4. Birth of an Accidental Hipster - Written by Noel Gallagher & Paul Weller, sung by Michael Nesmith & Micky Dolenz, off of the album Good Times!

3. Sometime In the Morning - Written by Gerry Goffin & Carole King, sung by Micky Dolenz, off of the album More of the Monkees

2. Randy Scouse Git - Written & sung by Micky Dolenz, off of the album Headquarters (Side note: released in England as "Alternate Title" because the title means something rude in British slang)

1. Words - Written by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart, sung by Micky Dolenz & Peter Tork, off of the album Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.

Top 10 Episodes

10. The Spy Who Came In from the Cool (S1/E5) - The group ends up involved in a spy ring after Davy buys a pair of red maracas.

9. The Monkees in Manhattan (S1/E30) - The group tries to help produce a Broadway musical.

8. The Case of the Missing Monkee (S1/E17) - Peter and a professor mysteriously disappear!

7. Art, for Monkee's Sake (S2/E5) - Two art thieves try to use Peter & his painting hobby to steal a priceless painting.

6. I Was a Teenage Monster (S1/E18) - A mad scientist tries to steal the group's musical talent & implant it into his created monster.

5. One Man Shy (S1/E13) - Peter falls in love with a debutante, but is too shy to approach her.

4. The Card-Carrying Red Shoes (S2/E9) - A ballerina falls for Peter, as her manager tries to use her to steal a priceless microfilm.

3. Fairy Tale (S2/E16) - It's a fairy tale...one you have to see to believe!

2. Mijacogeo aka The Frodis Caper (S2/E26) - The Evil Wizard Glick is trying to take over the world through television.

1. The Devil & Peter Tork (S2/E20) - Peter unknowingly buys a harp from the Devil; the price...his soul.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment