Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Funny how falling feels like flying for a little while"

"Funny how falling feels like flying for a little while"

This line is from one of the songs in the movie "Crazy Heart", the movie that gave Jeff Bridges his first Oscar.  However, I don't want to talk about the Oscars, Mr. Bridges, or the movie.

I want to talk about that line.

How true it is!  Picture if you will jumping out of an airplane.  You're falling through the air and you KNOW it's going to hurt when you land if you don't open your parashute...but in that time, you're soaring through the air.  You MAY even be able to guide your general direction by using your arms...it feels like flying...

...until you realize that you're still just falling.

The same can be said for any bad decision you make.  For a while you may feel good, maybe even in control of the situation.  However, the truth of the matter is, no matter HOW good that flying may feel, you're still going to hit the ground with a resounding thud at the end of it. 

The thing is, we all fall.  Everyone jumps out of that airplane once in a while.  Sometimes it's willingly, sometimes you may get pushed.  (Funny thing is, when one is pushed, one still has the option of grabbing the doorway, but I digress).  It's your reaction to the fall that makes the difference.

I am thankful that I haven't jumped out of too many airplanes.  I'm also thankful that Jesus has always been my parashute for when I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment