Saturday, March 12, 2011

Musical Musings

I can not remember a time in my life when music wasn't a major part of it.  Since my oldest siblings were teens (or just about) when I was born, they always had records playing, or the radio.  My parents also enjoyed music.  I remember that on Sundays my father had control of the radio, and it would be country music.  My mother was a movie and theatre nut, so whenever a musical was on TV, odds were she would have it on.

I know that the first two songs that I absolutely fell in love with were "To Sir, With Love" by Lulu, and "People/Second Hand Rose" by Barbra Streisand.  I was probably around 2 or 3 when I first heard those songs; I don't remember ever not even knowing those songs.

I remember listening to a lot of Peter, Paul and Mary, and the Mamas & Papas.  I remember one particular day - I believe it was my oldest sister - called me into the living room to listen to a song..."listen carefully to the very end of the song, when it starts to fade away"...and I was captivated by the carousel music at the very end of Blood, Sweat & Tears' "Spinning Wheel".

I remember constantly asking this same sister to PLEASE play "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (by Iron Butterfly) AGAIN...the WHOLE song...the LONG version...and the pictures that would form in my head when listening to it.

I remember singing with my sisters.  We learned most of the songs from "Godspell", with "By My Side" being a particular favorite of mine. 

My other older sister and I would sit on the swings and sing song after song...singing and swinging..."The Boy From Ipanema" comes to mind as one.

Music has a strong effect on me.  The scream at the beginning of the Beatles' "Revolution" bothered me as a small child.  "Incense & Peppermints" by Strawberry Alarm Clock bothered me a little bit, but I got over that.  However, to this very day, I can NOT listen to "Her Majesty" (at the end of the Beatles' "Abbey Road") and "Green Tambourine" by the Lemon Pipers...not at all.  Can't explain it; it just does something to my head.

I've always loved to sing.  Whether I'm any good or not is immaterial.  If I know a song, I'll sing it.  I sing in the shower.  I sing while doing dishes.  I sing while driving.  I sing at church.  I've been known to at least hum along with "hold" music at work.

To this very day, I get antsy if there isn't music playing, if only just in the background.  I can't abide flat-out silence.  Music is as much a part of my being as the air that I breathe...

...which is also a very good song.

No comments:

Post a Comment